Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The Power of Polish

There's definitely something to be said for "girling it up." Although I like dresses and skirts and love to look good, I am a bigger fan of being comfortable and saving money. I'm not ashamed to admit that the places I primarily shop for clothes are Old Navy and Target, with occasional finds at Goodwill. If something is more than $25, it's hard for me to spend money on it. I'm frugal, and being a girl can be expensive and time consuming! However, there is a huge benefit to creating that feminine mystique: men completely eat it up!

All I need to do is put on a pencil skirt, three-inch heels, and nail polish, and men pay attention. I went to a networking event last week dressed as such, and being "girly" was way more powerful in creating relationships than anything I shared about my business. Even colleagues I'd known for years were falling over themselves to say hello and compliment me on how good I looked. It was a huge boost to my ego — and a big wake-up call.

Men want feminine women. Just as I, as a woman, want a man with some muscles, hair on his chest, and a five-o'clock shadow, men want a woman who is soft, hairless, and puts a little effort into her appearance. And since I am frugal, I've found ways to save money while still glamming it up.

Mani / Pedis

Nail polish averages about $3 a bottle and up to $10 for O.P.I., one of the best brands on the market. Ulta always has coupons to save a little off that price, and polish lasts quite a while. It may take a little practice to be an expert, but that French manicure can come later. I have it down to a science now, and my do-it-myself French mani / pedi is nearly as good as a corner nail salon, which will cost $20–30 a month.

Makeup

If you're putting things on your skin, you need to be wary about skimping on quality. However, The Body Shop — my favorite place — just ran a 50%-off makeup sale, where I got two eyeshadows and foundation for $20. Makeup lasts about 3–6 months, depending on how much you wear and how often, so you only have to drop the bucks two or three times a year, meaning you can save up and budget.

Hair

Believe it or not, I cut and color my own hair. It's pretty much a straight cut with some graduated bangs, so it's easy to cut (it's long). Coloring is more time than money, and as I want to cover my grays more frequently now, I save a TON of money by doing this all myself. If you don't think you can cut your hair yourself, try Cost Cutters, Fantastic Sam's, or a beauty school; they usually do a pretty good job.

Clothes

You don't need to shop at Nordstrom's to look fantastic. I literally do shop at Target, Old Navy, and Goodwill. I don't like to shop, and I don't like to spend money, so these are much better choices for me. Both Target and Old Navy have coupons and sales all the time, and Goodwill runs a 50%-off sale every other Saturday. I've gotten a number of great items for very little money. And the best part is that no one is the wiser.
 

Attitude

So looking great attracts the men, and we do that through our hair, makeup, nails, and clothes, but it's the attitude that really cements the look. Men are looking for confidence, which is presented in posture, and warmth, which happens as soon as you smile. A positive, confident, and warm attitude is priceless, so put on that gorgeous outfit, girl it up, and realize the power of polish.

No comments:

Post a Comment