Sunday, March 25, 2012

After the Love...Who Bounces Back Faster?

At a small dinner party with a few friends, we started talking about relationships. One of the men at the party said he thinks that women tend to bounce right into the next relationship after the previous one ends, whereas men stay single longer, lamenting about the one who got away.

This perplexed me. In my life, I've seen my exes get into new relationships much faster than I have, especially when love was involved. If I was in love, I took a good deal of time to get over and purge that man from my heart before stepping into something new. On the other side of the coin, the men have married within 1-2 years of our partnership ending. That seems pretty fast to me.

Of course, I do tend to approach the world of dating and relationships more from a male's perspective, so maybe that's where the difference lies in my experiences. But when I look at my friends' ins and outs of dating on Facebook, most jump pretty quickly—regardless of gender. So maybe it's just a human nature thing: We don't want to be alone.

What's your experience?

3 comments:

  1. I think it is men who tend to jump into the next relationship faster. Although I see insecure men and women jump much faster than a more secure person who is comfortable being alone and independent. Great blog Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it's a man/woman thing, or a secure/insecure thing either. I think "bouncing back" is more about who initiated the breakup. Often, the emotional connection has been gone for a long time for the person who ends it, whether it's a male or female. I know that in my last relationship, I had been falling out of love for over a year before I finally pulled the plug. In the end, instead of feeling heartbroken, I was relieved for the relationship to officially be over and I moved on quickly. I was emotionally detached long before my ex was, and I began dating much sooner as a result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely see that, jkendall. I know I have started dating first a couple of times when I was over it before the relationship ended. However, the man did jump pretty quickly as well, so who knows. Food for thought, I guess.

      Delete